Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sniff, Sneeze, Snot

Howdy. Yes, I am from Texas so I can say that. We don’t really say that but thought I’d switch it up a bit today.
Speaking of switching it up, like my title? Some of you might have seen this tweet last weekend.

Mucinex is my best friend this morning.” 6:28 AM Jan 23rd via web

No, I wasn’t sick.  It’s called the oh so lovely CEDAR FEVER here in Austin. Remember, I am outside surrounded by this during my runs.
DSCF0513DSCF0514
That’s a lot of Cedar! But don’t worry, I’m NOT COMPLAINING! I look at it as a way to find NATURAL REMEDIES, okay minus the one Mucinex incident.

The hubs and I are huge advocates of natural remedies first. I don’t like pills or drugs. They just make things fuzzy (for me at least). I’d hate to be hopped up on meds and not be able to keep my eyes open during a training session. I’m pretty sure I’d be like Janae who fell off her stationary bike while on pain meds. Haha. Sorry Janae, I just had to!

So what’s this allergy sufferer to do? Turn to food of course!

Six Foods Allergy Sufferers Should Avoid

Reduce seasonal suffering and help the body fight airborne pollen through the elimination of these six allergy-aggravating foods.
According to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, 40 million Americans suffer from allergies caused by airborne pollen during the spring and fall. Doctors call this seasonal allergic rhinitis. Common symptoms include postnasal drip, congestion, itchy eyes, nose and throat, and sneezing.
People with these symptoms often rely on antihistamines, nasal steroids and decongestants for relief. But sufferers may alleviate or reduce symptoms by eliminating these six foods before and during allergy season:
  • dairy
  • gluten
  • soy
  • sugar
  • processed foods
  • cereal grains
Avoid Mucus-Thickening Foods- dairy, gluten , soy
Eliminate Inflammatory Foods- Foods such as sugar and processed products made with chemical additives are known to cause inflammation. These foods should be eliminated, especially during allergy season, in favor of a whole foods diet rich in fruits and vegetables..Read more at Suite101: Six Foods Allergy Sufferers Should Avoid
That being said, I decided to whip up a quick batch of spicy GF noodles. You guys know I like my SPICE!

Allergy Relief Sweet & Spicy Noodles

Start with these- bring to a quick boil, remove from heat and let sit for 8-10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
In another pot, bring 2 cups vegetable broth to a boil. Add in your fixin’s (I picked out my soybeans of course). Let is simmer till veggies are cooked.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA          
You can also add in some salmon, tuna, chicken, beef, etc.
Then pour your noodles in a bowl, then mix in your sweet and spicy sauces. WARNING: A little goes a long way with the Chili Sauce!
Don't have coconut aminos? Try balsamic vinegar instead.
After that, top your noodles with broth and veggies.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
dig for your noodles
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
and don’t forget to save some for leftovers! SLURP!!!
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
What’s your natural food remedy?

Cheers,
LC

P.S.
Swimming 101: Part 2-Water bound will be video taped later this week. Have any specific questions or demo requests? Feel free to leave a comment.

P.P.S
Four people got my secret dessert correct in my last post. But congrats to Heather for being the first US resident to get it right. It's a New Zealand/Austrailan dessert. My hubs is a pro at making it. Remember the PAVOLVA post?!

Heather, email me your address. Cottercrunch at hotmail dot com.

1 comment:

natalie hopkins said...

OMG. being from san antonio, but having since moved, i do NOT miss cedaah feevah.

yes, i know i'm posting in an older post. but, i sympathize with you that much. <3