Friday, January 21, 2011

Spice my Life

Spice, it can be used in several ways. It can be a health benefit, a spontaneous act, a self challenge. But over all it is……


This week was spicy! In a good way.

Dorry’s post added ZEST to my day. A must read!
Kristina’s (spabettie) Carrot Bread Recipe had me experience FLAVOR!
And training this week left me feeling full of GUSTO! But this also means it left my body a little depleted. Therefore, I turn to spice to NOURISH my life.

Spices are my new recovery medicine. Check this out.
Cinnamon : Can lower blood sugar, triglycerides, LDL, and total cholesterol in people with type 2 diabetes.
Ginger : Can decrease motion sickness and nausea; may also relieve pain and swelling associated with arthritis. Doses used in clinical trials range from 500 to 2,000 mg of powdered ginger. (A quarter-size piece of fresh root contains about 1,000 mg.)
Cayenne : useful in alleviating allergies, muscle cramp, improving digestion, gives more pep and energy, and helps wound healing with minimal scar tissue.

Clove : contains significant amounts of an active component called eugenol, which has been in numerous health studies, including studies on the prevention of toxicity from environmental pollutants like carbon tetrachloride, digestive tract cancers, and joint inflammation.
(Source)

That being said, Kristina’s carrot bread has a little extra spice…….. perfect timing in my LIFE!

Spicy Peanut Carrot Bread

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
  • 1 1/2 cups GF Flour (I used half buckwheat flour/half amaranth)
  • 1/2 cup peanut flour (could also use almond meal/coconut flour)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoons of each: cinnamon, cayenne, clove, ginger, & salt
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
  • Sweetener of choice- I used liquid vanilla stevia. You can also use 1/4 cup honey or agave nectar.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 1 egg
  • Dash of milk (I used 1/4 cup almond milk)

Directions: Mix flour, baking powder, and spices/salt. In separate bowl, mix carrots, banana, stirred egg and sweetener. Combine with dry ingredients and then add in your milk. Mix batter thoroughly. Pour batter into loaf pan and bake @ 350 for 50-55 minutes.

oh and you gotta do 2 more things…..

Clean up the kitchen…..or maybe just think about licking the bowl.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
And share the spice with some you love!OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
What’s added spice to your life this week?

Cheers to Friday my friends,
LC

p.s
In honor of spice your life week, I challenge you to try a new workout. The hubs and I will be posting a swimming “technique/form” lesson this weekend (hopefully). So stayed tuned!

1 comment:

Jess @ Fit Chick in the City said...

I love spices! However, on Sunday instead of putting nutmeg in my oats I accidentally put in cayenne pepper. Not wanting my oats to go to waste I attempted to eat it. I could only stomach two bites.