Well, I did it. The TWO WEEK AMAZING GRASS challenge.
Actually, yesterday was my last day. I had an amazing meal and/or superfood each day. I usually incorporated them into breakfast or post workout shake. To be honest, I was quite the skeptic at first. I thought I already ate well, which I do! But when I added in these additional nutrients/calories to my diet, I found out something…….
Anyway, the last day of my amazing grass challenge (KEY 14) just so happened to talk about exercise and recovery. Being a Nutrition Manager myself, I was pretty impressed with what their Nutritionist (Rebekah Winquest) had shared in relation to pre and post workout fuel. So impressed that I thought I’d share, along with some of my post workout snacks/drinks!
DAY 14- What to Eat for your Workout Regiment (source)
My post run thumbs up!
Tips on Protein Drinks
We like to use LIFE BASIC protein. I add in amazing grass and/or cocoa, flaxseed oil, almond milk, a fruit (banana, berries, etc), and of course xanthan gum.
Protein Drinks are popular, and are better drunk before or after the workout, not during. Try to allow 15 minutes before or after working out before you have a protein drink. Ideally stick to hemp protein. Avoid isolated soy protein because it is so processed and toxic.
For those with fast metabolisms
For those of you who digest and burn food very quickly, you may need to eat a larger quantity prior to a workout, and/or bring food for a mid-workout snack. If your blood sugar drops quickly when you exercise, you should pay attention and plan ahead. Eat more complex grains, good fats and lean protein before exercising. Fat provides the body with longer lasting energy, so load up on the almonds, salmon and good raw oils. One tablespoon of raw coconut oil right before a workout has produced amazing results for my family. Coconut oil is raw and un-storable so it circulates energy continuously.
After a workout – Recovery foods & products…
Gluten Free Udi’s Bread with Cultured Cottage Cheese, Hummus, Spicy Turmeric sauce, and Veggies.
Coconut water, apple, banana, Cinnamon, Berry Super Food, and Vanilla Hemp Milk.
Be kind to your body after exercising. It needs to repair and re-hydrate. Drink lots of alkaline water; eat some lean protein such as:
- Fish, tempeh, eggs, raw nuts (almonds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, walnuts)
- Healthy raw fats such as avocados, coconut oil, flaxseed oil, raw nuts;
- whole grain breads; grains such as quinoa (extremely high in protein) and brown rice
- Vegetables, especially greens
- Easily digested protein drinks (hemp protein, rice, or nut based)
- Fresh fruit eaten by itself.
- Turmeric, Cinnamon
- Protein enzymes (Bromelain)
- Raw omega fatty acids(flax, fish & hempseed oil)
- Blue-Green algae (‘Blue Mana”)
- Cordyceps mushroom
- Schizandra Berry, Acai Berry
- Spirulina, Blue-Green algae, Wheat Grass and other greens
- Matcha Green Tea
- Maca root is another useful herb for sustained energy without the caffeine. Maca has been used by ancient cultures for thousands of years for energy, hormone balancing, focus, stamina, and much more. I encourage you to research these food-based supplements, and see what works best for you.
So there you have it, LOTS of extra NATURAL ingredients/nutrients that might aid in recovery. I think my favorite addition was the spirulina. I am a weirdo, I like the green algae color.. haha!!
Again, these are just my thoughts and what I saw change in my body. Everyone’s body acts differently. That being said, I tried to really stay in tune with what I feeling each day. Ha, I think that was the hardest part.
I know a lot of you have your go to post workout snacks, shakes, etc. Is there anything you would try from this list? Or have you already? I love hearing everyone’s awesome ideas!
Oh and go wish JANAE a happy happy BDAY!!
Cheers to good health,