Sunday, April 18, 2010

Makin' My Rounds (Recipes, workouts, & more)

What a weekend! Busy but very productive, so that makes me feel good! Look at the to do list that was all checked off!!
Make Healthy bites for clients

Saturday Vendor Sampling at CATZ

Long run (up early to beat the rain)

Home Workout on TRX

Meet with Nutrition Client

Train 2 clients at WB (Wild Basin)

Make Apple Cinnamon Protein Coffee Cake for Hubby

Laundry and wash sheets (YUCK!!)

Clean house
CHECK IT ALL OFF BABY! Now I really want a nothing weekend!
Here's the hubs doing some TRX. Side plank with feet in TRX straps.

And myself (I look a little worn out from it already, eek!)

Check out the hub's (a.k.a Coach) blog for more info on TRX!

Anyway, on to our eats. This weekend I Borrowed a lot of recipes and tweaked them a bit. It was so fun! First up, Gina's (Fitnessista) Breakfast Cookie. This was AWESOME!
1/3 cup Oats
1/5 cup Oat bran
1 TBSP almond butter
1 TBSP smashed raspberry
1 serving Life Basic Vanilla Protein
Cinnamon
Banana
Coconut on top
Combine all and spread on salad plate. Put in the fridge overnight to eat in the morning THis made a BIG COOKIE. I actually put in the in freezer for an hour so that I could try a little before bed. I am impatient, what can i say?!


Today I am Janetha's Amazing Apple Cinnamon Protein Coffee Cake. I made the gluten free/lactose free version. This rocked my world. Thanks G$$ (thats my nickname for Janetha's future married named).
Here's my GF/Lactose Free Version.

INGREDIENTS:

dry bowl:
1/2 cup Amaranth Flour
2 servings 100% whey vanilla protein powder (Mine has 23g protein per serving)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
wet bowl:
1 TB Blue Agave nectar
1 TB Butter (I use Irish Kerri Gold Butter, YUM!)
1 TB grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
2 large egg whites or 6 TB carton egg whites
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup 0% greek yogurt (i used lactose free cottage cheese instead)
filling/topping:
1/2 of a medium granny smith apple, sliced into small pieces
3 tsp cinnamon, divided
1/4 cup slivered almonds (I used chopped pecans)
3 TB organic sugar substitute (I used sugar crystals)

DIRECTIONS:
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees. spray a 5 x 7 baking pan with cooking spray, set aside.
2. toss sliced apples with 1 tsp cinnamon.
3. spray a small skillet with cooking spray and cook apples over medium heat, until tender. set aside
4. combine pecans, sugar crystals substitute and remaining 2 tsp of cinnamon in a small bowl. set aside.
5. combine “dry bowl” ingredients, set aside.
6. in a separate bowl, combine sugar or agave nectar, butter and oil. mix well until you have a creamy texture
7. add egg whites and vanilla. mix well.

8. add yogurt (cottage cheese). mix well. mixture should be creamy. I actually use a mixer.
9. add the flour mixture, a little bit at a time, mixing thoroughly each time you add more.
10. pour half of the batter into the prepared baking dish.
11. place all of the apples evenly on top of mixture.
12. place half of the pecan mixture on top of the apples.
13. pour the remaining batter into the dish.
14. top with the remaining pecan mixture.
15. bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until top is golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.





Served it up with a little egg/veggie bake with Avocado and fruit. It was heavenly! So those are my steals for the weekend. You should definitely try them!


Enjoy the last bit of your Sunday. Cheers!

LC


12 comments:

april said...

Ugh.. I'm so jealous of that TRX!! I want to try it sooo bad! Is it worth buying?

And delicious eats!! I love seeing your whole plateful of food.. always looks so good!

sweet cheeks said...

Aren't those breakfast cookies delicious?!? I am going to make one for tomorrow morning. Yum! I need to make that coffee cake ASAP!

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness said...

Luvin that egg/veggie bake. And I have been drooling over the coffee cakes on Janetha's and now yours, like crazy.. they're one of my favorite pastries for sure!

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, you look scary skinny in the 1st picture but healthy in the 2nd. It must be the angle.

Anonymous said...

you are so freaking ADORABLE! omgahh! look at those RIPPED ARMS!
i must make those thangs. those look awesome, and so healthy!

Joanna Sutter said...

Holy cow! What should I bake first??? ;0)

Ok, I have a TRX and I have yet to fall in love with it...I need to give it another chance.

Therese said...

I still have yet to try the breakfast cookie...not sure why!? I guess I am afraid it wouldn't be filling enough...

OMG I am drooling over that coffee cake :) Janetha always has the best baked goods.

Jenn said...

You look so pretty in that picture! I've been considering a trx but I'm holding off because of the price tag.

Jamie (BeautyandtheBeef) said...

I'm totally trying your version of the apple coffee cake, Janetha's looks awesome but I try to avoid wheat! Do you think there are other flours that would work besides amaranth? I need to get some of that!

I had a cottage cheese/bread experiment over the weekend as well, not sure it was a success, I'll have to post about it soon.

Unknown said...

Jamie,

You can use any gluten free flour. Oat flour, GF flour, buckwheat, Coconut flour, or Tapico flour all should work, hopefully. haha! I just use Amaranth because its lower in carbs and higher in protein. But so is coconut and buckwheat. Can't wait to hear about the cottage cheese bread! Sometimes recipe screw ups still taste really good, just look bad. Ya know? :)

Jamie (BeautyandtheBeef) said...

I'm totally trying your version of the apple coffee cake, Janetha's looks awesome but I try to avoid wheat! Do you think there are other flours that would work besides amaranth? I need to get some of that!

I had a cottage cheese/bread experiment over the weekend as well, not sure it was a success, I'll have to post about it soon.

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness said...

Luvin that egg/veggie bake. And I have been drooling over the coffee cakes on Janetha's and now yours, like crazy.. they're one of my favorite pastries for sure!