Wednesday, July 21, 2010

California Dreaming

And thats exactly what it seems like....... a dream. Went by way too fast but I've captured all the great moments in my mind (and heart). Last week we left for Healdsburg (Sonoma Valley) California. The hubs was racing in the Vineman 70.3 and the parents were happy to join us this time. Who can pass up a trip to Sonoma to see their favorite son in law race? hehe. So, lets begin.

We arrived in San Francisco and started our drive to Sonoma.....yeehaw!


Crossing the Golden Gate

Our lovely vacation home

Yes, its on a VINEYARD and here is backyard. Breath-taking!




James' favorite asset of the house.....an apple tree. Yes he did actually bite an apple. I called him Adam from that point on. haha!



Our first night post dinner on the porch.....so relaxing.


the lovely parents enjoying the view

Saturday we hit up the farmers market. Lots of fresh fish, flowers, fruit, veggies, my HEAVEN!!


Saturday evening was very relaxed. I cooked up a pre-race meal for the hubs and got the oats all set for the morning. 3:45am wake up call in order to get down to race site. Luckily my parents could stay at the house because the bike course went right by the house. Perfect for them!

Race morning was chilly and foggy. The swim was in the Russian River. Here are the pros waiting for the gun to go off.
 The swim was super fast because of the currant. The hubs was 4th out of the water and now onto the bike he goes. A scenic 56 miles of biking to go.


I love this picture. Cotter on the butt. Thats one good lookin' view!

After those grueling 56 miles, it was into transition and off for the 13 mile run

Luckily the hubs is fast and ran himself up into 3rd place....WOOHOO!!

Christ Lieto 1st, Keirin Doe 2nd, and the Hubs 3rd.

I was one happy wifey!

The boys were quite exhausted from the heat.

 
3rd place Pro also won this great prize

Signed by the wine maker himself. Try carrying this in your suitcase, HUGE!

After the awards and a much needed nap and shower, w e headed to the cutest general store on Dry Creek.  You can sit on the patio, have drink, and relax.

We decided to enjoy their famous homemade kettle chips. DELICIOUS! Better than a store bought bag any day! I also had to get my FRS fix.


Then it was celebration time. We dined at an all ORGANIC restaurant called the Barn Diva. All the vegetables, meat, and fish were all within a 30 mile radius. Very local and fresh!



The freshest dessert I've ever had

And of course, a toast was made!

The next day we ventured out to the wineries.

This was Bella Vineyard. Very cute barn and lawn area. They even had a cave where they did the wine tastings, store the wine, etc. Beautiful!

James and the cave....the wine is flowing inside!

Inside the cave. Its not even noon I already looked too relaxed, haha.

Next up was Truett Hurst Vineyard. It was a very small vineyard. We LOVED IT! We sat down by the creek and enjoyed our wine tasting. I ended up buying a bottle of their Rose. It was scrumptious!


At this point, the hubs was pretty relaxed. hehe!

The last night was spent on our back porch, enjoying good food and beauty of the vineyard. We loved being out there with no cell phone reception or Internet.
I am also so proud of the hubs for placing again in the top 3! His hard work is starting to pay off. We hope to continue down this road. Being a pro triathlete is never easy, living paycheck to paycheck but we would never give up this dream. Its a true passion of his which I support 110%. I love being part of  "Team Cotter!"
 :)

Well, that's it for now. It feels good to be home.

Cheers,
LC

p.s.
A recipe will be on its way soon. Can't wait to get in the kitchen and make some goodies!



23 comments:

Dorry said...

Looks like an awesome trip! It's hard to leave that beautiful scenery and cooler weather...back to the TX heat. Congrats to James on 3rd place - pretty rad if you ask me and I love that you support his dreams. I feel fortunate to have a mutually supportive relationship with my fiance and can't wait to start our marriage this September! Y'all are a good example for us. :)

Bre said...

3rd place rocking out the podium @ Vineman! nice to have all the hard work pay off!
love the photos, looks like it was a pretty fabulous race location, racing in wine country- best idea ever! :)
glad that you and James both had a great time/vacation (can you call racing a 70.3 a vacation?? haha

Anonymous said...

AWW what a fun time! yall are such a beautiful couple. your hubby is a beast!! thats awesome he got 3rd! WOW. it looks beautiful there. im going to cali in a week! SO excited!

Maggie said...

Beautiful scenery, family, good clean eats (loving Barn Diva), vino, relaxation, and of course an awesome 3rd place finish for James. Life really doesn't get any better than that, does it! :)

Maggs said...

Congrats to you hubby. Bummed I didn't get to see you there.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the placing!!!

You are a great wife :)

I'm glad you are loving your life, that's important.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) said...

Never ever give up on your dreams! Money is over-rated...victory is not!

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

Congrats to the hubs! Looks like you had a wonderful trip. Love all the pictures. You guys are so cute. I sooo want to get out to wine country one of these days.

Kelsey Ann said...

your hubby is SO HARDCORE! actually both of you are, but i mean to see these pics it sort of engrains it ya know?

im dreamnig of california myself.. more for the tanning and sunshine hehe.

you two are an awesome example of support and love, i think MANY couples could learn from valuable lessons from you!

xoxo <3

The Triathlon Rx said...

Wow.. awesome job James!! You two are so adorable. And that picture on the adirondacks in front of the creek/river looks SO relaxing!! Ahhhhh. Lovely!

AM! said...

Congrats to your Hubby! I heard he took third. I didn't get over to the awards ceremony...but I heard them announce it.

And too bad we didn't see each other!! aw well. next year??

and glad you took in all of Sonoma County. It's a fabu place to be;-) Next time you'll have to come to Sonoma itself

Eden said...

Barn Diva! love it! I'm so jealous of your trip! I want to go to sonoma so bad! I only live about 8hrs drive away! You gotta hit me up when you come to LA.
I'm glad your back, i missed the cotter!

april said...

What a fun trip! you and your hubbie make such a cute couple!

Abby said...

That looks like so much fun! I LOVED my visit to CA! I want to go back!

Congrats to James on his AWESOME finish!

PS You're such a cutie!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

My oh my - what a wonderful adventure!!! BIG BIG BIG congrats to your hubs! Awesome job!

Anonymous said...

wow lindsay what a fabulous race and vacation! your hubby did so good! how fun to have the race over and enjoy the time with your family. love it. especially love that big bottle of la crema-YUM!

Your best advice said...

what a beautiful trip, that desert is the best!

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

best post ever!
you know i love vineyards and nor cal, just posted about it all yesterday!

i would have loved to share the experience with you...I love B & B's in Napa/Sonoma, farmer's mkts, wine, the whole bit. Girl, yes!

you look gorg in your pics!

congrats to hubs!

and groc bagging anal-yes, me too. when i am not, my produce goes to hell as it did today!

Anonymous said...

wow California seems like such a beautiful place :) glad to hear that you enjoyed your time away!! Congrats to your husband - 70.3 sounds intense!! You are a great supporter :)

Nora@LiveLifeEatRight said...

Ahh!!! SO jealous of your california dreamin!! This looks so fantastic and ROCK ON JAMES!!!! WOOH! Ugh I love wine this all looks so perfect. I'll have to live through your pictures for now :)

Fit Chick in the City said...

Congrats to the husband and his support team! =) Love that area of CA.

fitandfortysomething.com said...

wow lindsay what a fabulous race and vacation! your hubby did so good! how fun to have the race over and enjoy the time with your family. love it. especially love that big bottle of la crema-YUM!

redhead75 said...

Congrats on the placing!!!

You are a great wife :)

I'm glad you are loving your life, that's important.