Friday, May 21, 2010

Determined

Ya, that's kinda how I feel right now, but the good news is I found time last night to put away work and COOK! Oh there might have been a little glass of wine in there as well, so nice!

Here's the deal, I often by gluten free bread and this time around I decided to try Millet bread. It tasted yummy but the only bad thing was that it basically crumbled in my hands. Not good. So the last half of the loaf I decided to use the food processor and grind up the bread pieces to create Millet Meal or Millet Bread Crumbs. Very resourceful! Last night I put those crumbs to use. See my creation below!

Millet & Flax Crusted Tilapia with Balsamic Broccoli Slaw

Ingredients:

FISH -this is enough for 3-4 fillets
1 cup grounded up millet bread
1-2 tbsp flax meal
Tilapia Fillets
Greek Seasoning and/or Lemon Pepper
Sea Salt
1-2 tbsp Coconut oil

SLAW:
Bag of broccoli slaw mixture (store bought, eek!)
2 tbsp balsamic dressing
2tbsp sunflower seeds
1tbsp greek yogurt
sliced cherry tomatoes
course black pepper

Directions:
Combine flax and meal in a bowl. Mix well. Coat fillets with coconut oil and place in millet batter.


Then season as desired. I used a Lemon pepper and Greek Seasoning. I sprinkled it over the crusted fillets with a little sea salt. Bake at 450F for 10-12 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillets. Its usually 10 minutes per inch of thickness for the fillets but since these are crusted, they needed a little longer.



For the slaw, I actually bought a broccoli slaw mixture from the store and added balsamic dressing, 2 tbsp sunflower seeds, 2 tbsp greek yogurt (I used our greek yogurt kefir), black pepper, and sliced cherry tomatoes. It was the perfect tangy and sweet combo!


 And that did it, I was finally able to cook and unwind. Now its back to the nitty gritty and full weekend of work and training. I think I am the only that will be happy when MONDAY comes back around. Plus on Tuesday, I get to welcome another nephew into the world. YAY for being an Aunt again and again and again. LOVE IT!

Cheers and Hope you guys have an AWESOME weekend!
LC

14 comments:

april said...

It looks great!! A great way to use up some not-so-good food products!

Bre said...

looks good & nice use of the GF crumbly fall apart bread!! glad to hear that you got some time to enjoy being in the kitchen and of course a nice glass of wine! :)

Abby said...

I loooove Broccoli Slaw! And there's nothing wrong with store bought... ;)

Congrats early on being an aunt again!

Mo said...

That recipe looks amazing and right up my alley. I'm trying to decrease the gluten in my diet, and I was afraid of having to give up panko for crusting. What a great solution!

Chuck said...

This looks delicious- I love crispy fish a chicken. My favorite is whole wheat panko bread crumbs with ranch seasoning on chicken breasts

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

I have all of these ingredients except for the tilapia...but Publix is a block away. This would make a great dinner for tonight!

So happy you were able to have some you time! A glass of wine always helps. ;)

Anonymous said...

aww so glad you got to sit down for a real meal! i LOVE brocc slaw too! love this meal :) HAPPY WEEKEND LOVE!

sophia said...

smart, effective way to save your crumbs! I usually save up the crusts of my breads (which I hate to eat straight up) and grind them for crumbs! :-)

Kristina said...

yyummmy I LOVE Tilapia altho I can't really make it at the house because my bf HATES the smell :( so sometimes I have it at friend's houses. I also am a fan of broccoli slaw. I like how you flipped the recipes to make them more sophisticated!! Eats looks good :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

Oh way to use up the bread. I NEVER waste food...love it that you got creative!
xo

Kelly said...

Looks like a fancier version of my almond meal fish sticks. Your slaw looks delicious and very colorful!

Ameena said...

I love the idea of using flax meal as breadcrumbs! As a gluten-free person I am always on the lookout for good substitutes. Thanks for a great recipe!

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

Yay on getting to unwind!

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness said...

Love this.. so creative! Tilapia is one of my favorites, but I'm usually really boring with.. I need to try this!