Friday, April 9, 2010

Lovin' some B.A.S & Protein Treats

Wow, what a week. So glad its the weekend, even though I still have a few training clients, I am gonna soak up the sunshine and get outdoors as much as I can (if the darn pollen doesn't stop me first, bugger!).
Anyway, this week was full of B.A.S (Big A** Salads) and protein treats! Love it. The hubs actually loves having B.A.S for lunches/dinners so it was fun to buy lots of GREENS and Fixins. Here's a couple of our B.A.S's for the week.

Blackberry, kale, Chicken, and Avocado


Black Bean and Veggies
thrown on a bed of spinach with a litte CC (cottage cheese) topping.


On another note, I had a client request a special flavor healthy bites (these are the GF/Organic bite size snacks I make for people). See picture of them below.


Anyway, she wanted low carb high protein Peanut Butter and Chocolate. So I experimented and experimented. I ended up buying Walden Farms Peanut Butter Spread to mix into my batter with Chocolate Whey Protein and Carob Chips. The Peanut Butter Spread wasn't my favorite do to the added ingredients and splenda but heck, it was better than aspartame and low calorie, sugar free, and gluten free as she requested. Well.....the combo tasted great but didn't really hold a "ball" like most my snacks do. So then I decided to keep it and refrigerate it for a protein batter snack. And boy did I snack on that, so much my stomach was not wanting to see it ever again, haha! So since I didn't want to see the batter again, I decided to convert the rest into protein carob chip muffins. It worked! Much better for my snacking belly.




Carob Chip Protein Muffins
Makes 6-8 Muffins
  • 1/4 cup carob chips
  • 1/3 cup GF buckwheat flour (you can probably use other flour like wheat bran, coconut, etc as well)
  • 1/4 cup ground almonds of almond meal
  • 1/4 cup Rolled or Raw Oats (GF)
  • 1 egg (or 2 egg white for those who fear yolk, ha ha!)
  • 1.5 serving of Chocolate Whey Protein
  • 1/2 cup Walden Farms Whipped Peanut Butter (if you use regular PB than switch to 1/4 to 1/3 cup).
  • 1-2 tbsp honey (you can use other sweeteners if you prefer...honey just helped with consistency)
Mix Batter thoroughly and pour into coated muffin pan. Bake at 350F for 14-16 minutes. YUM! Third times a charm I guess. Even though the protein batter was GOOD it was just to rich for me. Muffins are much better for grab and go.

Cheers and have a great weekend!

LC

P.S.

Yes,  the PB spread is NOT good alone. But combine it with chocolate and you can't go wrong. haha!

13 comments:

april said...

Those little balls and muffin actually sound delicious! Do you have the stats on them? I"ve heard the walden farms pb tastes nasty on it's own but I bet it's good all mixed up!

Unknown said...

Um ya, not good by itself but it combines well with other flavors,like chocolate!. Haha!

Bre said...

chocolate can solve anything! :)

Unknown said...

OMG Lindsay! those muffins look so delish!...on my list to make now!..thank you!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

what do you do with your kale?

Unknown said...

I actually baked it with nutritional yeast first. It was a similar crunch to kale chips, yummy!

Matt said...

those muffins look great, thanks again for the great recipies!!

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE THE BAKING QUEEN!
girl, i am so thankful for you. i look up to you so much, for real. thank you for being so awesome

Jason said...

Little balls look awesome!

Thinspired said...

Hi! Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. Your protein muffin looks really good! It seems like there are all sorts of protein baked goods around the blogs lately and I haven't had a chance to try any of them!

Just reading your sidebar and see that you love kombucha! I am just starting to get hooked on it :)

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

i am obviously so behind on blogs, but i couldnt mark all as read in my reader! and i am glad i didnt because those protein muffins were worth waiting to see! i am all about high protein baked goods :)

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness said...

Who that muffin looks so good! And I agree, WF PB is awful, but mixed in with something I could see working out!

livelifeeatright said...

what do you do with your kale?