Saturday, November 6, 2010

Ask and You Shall Receive……

Happy Saturday! It’s a beautiful day here in Austin and we’re just about to head out the door to the GYPSY PICNIC TRAILER FOOD FESTIVAL. I’ll try to take lots of fun pictures. It’s dog friendly, so this little one gets to come along as well. What a fun family outing, eh?!

stair sittingAnyway, I had lots of requests for the Spicy Pumpkin Cauliflower Soup recipe I made the other night. To be honest, I kinda winged it but nonetheless I thought I’d share. Let me know if you try it.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Spicy Pumpkin Cauliflower Soup:

Ingredients:

1 can organic pumpkin puree

1 bag frozen cauliflower

1 vegetable bouillon with sea salt and herbs

1/2 cup plain kefir

1/2 cup water

curry powder (to taste)

cumin (to taste)

1/2 tsp xanthan gum

2 tsp olive or grapseed oil

Chalula sauce and tortilla strips (I used brown rice)

Directions:

Add your pumpkin puree to a medium size pot. Put on medium heat. Then add in your water, kefir, and bouillon. Stir on medium until the bouillon is completely mixed in. Then steam cauliflower to almost cooked. Then add to blender or food processor with a dash of almond milk and oil. Blend until smooth.  Combine your cauliflower to your pumpkin mix and ad stir until everything is blended. Once that is done, remove from heat, place your soup back into blender or food processor and add in your xanthan gum. Blend until it thickens. Then throw it back into the pot and place on medium high heat adding in the rest of your spices. Let is simmer for a couple minutes and garnish with Chalula sauce and tortilla strips. I also added some pepper jack cheese on top. 

Note: If you don't like thick soup, then take out the xanthan gum.

Cheers,

LC

P.S.

Congrats to HEAB and her new little HEABLET that just arrived!!

16 comments:

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

Hope you have a great day girl. Can't wait to hear about the festival!

Kristina @ spabettie said...

have a fabulous time at the festival!! so great that it is PUP FRIENDLY :)

and yes, little Summer HEABlet is beautiful and her parents look SO happy! <3

Unknown said...

oh, i'm TOTALLY trying the recipe-- thanks!
enjoy the day beautiful

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

Hope you had fun at the festival and I can't wait for the pics!! THANK YOU for the recipe it looks so good and I LOVE thick soup!!

Bre said...

food festival sounds like fun!! Can't wait to see the pics! I can't wait to try that soup but I can't ever find a gluten free canned pumpkin up here on a regular basis so I might use some squash (since I'm not so sure about how to cook a pumpkin!)

Chuck said...

Ah Keifer in the soup...Clutch! I'll have to give it a try. I'm loving all this pumpkin- I made pumpkin cornbread this week!

Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said...

That soup sounds amazing! I know, I am so happy for HEAB! Summer is beautiful, isn't she!

Christin L. said...

Oh my goodness, that soup is beyond droolworthy!! :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

ooooh now THIS sounds delicious :) Thankyou for sharing it with us!!!!!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

P.S. I was looking at your post, "a gala of a time" and can I pretty please have your arms!! HOLY COW they are perfect!

Unknown said...

love that first picture of the soup! this definitely sounds like one i'll have to remember when i pick up cauliflower :) and i'll have to remember the xantham gum trick...

Anonymous said...

have such a blast at the festival!!
love you girl!!!
that soup looks AWEEEEESOME! Gosh i want to visit you and let you pour wisdom into me!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) said...

I love that you used cauliflower and xanthum to thicken your soup...I LOVE thick, hearty soup but my stomach cannot handle cream based soups so this is a perfect fit!

Shannon said...

love that first picture of the soup! this definitely sounds like one i'll have to remember when i pick up cauliflower :) and i'll have to remember the xantham gum trick...

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

ooooh now THIS sounds delicious :) Thankyou for sharing it with us!!!!!

Bre said...

food festival sounds like fun!! Can't wait to see the pics! I can't wait to try that soup but I can't ever find a gluten free canned pumpkin up here on a regular basis so I might use some squash (since I'm not so sure about how to cook a pumpkin!)