Thursday, September 30, 2010

Welcome to Austin FALL!

Well, its official. Its Fall in Austin. That mean 60's to 70's. Yes, that is our fall. In fact, that's usually our winter too! You see, Texas really has only 2 seasons. Fall-ish and Summer-ish. Not all of leaves change color but when they do, you better look fast!! I love it though. I am such a weenie in the cold so having a low of 55F is fine by me! Another way you know its fall in Austin is because of these events.
 
Its perfect weather to be outside, drink good beer, and listen to live music. We are the LIVE MUSIC CAPITAL you know.

Anyway, back to Fall colors. I always wonder what it'd be like to actually see the leaves change. When we lived in Hawaii, leaves didn't change but the Tide sure did. haha!

The summer trees start off with deep greens and browns.......


Then they turn to a golden yellow, orange, and lushish red..........

 

Yes, those are the REAL colorful LAYERS of FALL......


Don't you just want to eat up FALL?!?! Well, we did!

COLORFUL FALL PIE
Ingredients:
-9 inch pie pan
-12 in brown rice tortilla or whole wheat tortilla
-1 cup black beans (drained and rinsed)
-chalula sauce
-garlic and black pepper (to taste)
-1 cup butternut squash (mashed)
-1 cup spinach (fresh or frozen but thawed)
-1/2 cup diced cherry tomatoes
-1/3 cup DAIYA mozzarella cheese or other cheese of choice
**Serves about 3 large or 4 medium slices.

Directions:
oil up your pie pan and then place tortilla on the bottom. Part of the the tortilla should wrap up on the side of the pan as well (larger tortilla better for crust). Then add your layers. Start with the black beans, then spinach, add a little garlic to your beans and spinach. Spread your squash on top of the spinach and top with tomatoes, cheese, and black pepper. Bake in oven at 350F for about 18 minutes, maybe 20 if you have a slow oven. I then broiled it the last 5 minutes to give the cheese some golden gooey-ness (is that a word?). For extra spice, add a little chalula sauce on top!

Slice it up and serve with soup tomato soup. Perfect combo! Not sure how or why I thought of this dish but I must say....it was easy, fast, and most importantly TASTY!

So, have you experienced a real Fall? I know you CANADIANS have!

Cheers,
LC

16 comments:

Eden said...

o I am PRAYING for fall! its 97 degrees in LA! we are NOT used to it! its usually the same 72 and sunny year round. we have no seasons.
YOu recipe looks awesome! you alway manage to make me drool!

Bre said...

Canadian here...it's a balmy 61 right now. And the Escarpment is beautiful- full of reddish gold leaves, golden corn fields, bright orange from the pumpkin farms, and lots and lots of apple trees! But when you live here, you often miss the beauty and how lucky you really are to have 4 very very different seasons! ;)I can't imagine not having a fall or winter---but that doesn't make me love the cold and wish I lived in the south sometimes!

Unknown said...

aaah, that pie looks AMAZING. you dont' even know how much i love squash :) enjoy the cooler temps!

Viviane said...

Haha, fall is not just a season in Canada, it's an EVENT!

The leaves changing color, the return of warm and cozy sweaters, apple picking... I don't like the rain though, it's been raining here for the past week. Rain = bad for staying awake at work and bad for hair! Winter is fun until January, then it gets long... really really long! At least it makes us enjoy the spring and summer even more!

I definitely have to try that pie recipe! It sounds delicious and so easy to make!

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

Loving that fall pie! Yum. We do get about 3 seasons here and the leaves definitely change and fall off. We have some gorgeous fall foliage in North AR. I soooo need to visit Austin. We have a friend from there and I have always heard such great things about it. That beer fest kinda sounds up my alley too ;-)

Mo said...

I'm a wee bit jealous of the fall weather. It is going to be yet another 107 degree here again today. I don't care though, I'm still enjoying all the squash and pumpkin I can eat!

Anonymous said...

that totally SCREAMS FALL!!! oh my goodness!! that looks SO good! I seriously LOVE fall foods!! And my campus is BEAUTIFUL during the fall time.. near the mountains so there are leaves everywhere!! LOVE YOU!! have a great wknd!!

Anonymous said...

Are you going to Austin City Limits?? I heard Muse is going to be there - I saw them open for U2 last year and they are simply amazing. Have fun if you go!

sweet cheeks said...

I am so glad that is finally Fall time! Everything just looks so pretty and I love being outside in the crisp air...and then coming inside for something nice and warm. your meals looks amazing and I might just have to copy it very soon!

Penny Lane said...

THat looks delish! I understand about being a wimp with colder weather. Since moving to Palm Springs area I have become a wimp whenever it gets into the 70's. I was excited to see it was going to be in the low 90's all week.

Kelsey Ann said...

greens, beans, squash, and layered with cheese and all the fixin's MMMMMMMMM very comforting and quite healthy at the same time!! :P

xoxo

Zoe said...

It's the best season!!!!!

Nora@LiveLifeEatRight said...

This looks like Fall :) It reminds me of a dish my mom made when I was younger called "Taco Casserole" I love your use of butternut squash. I think ti is the perfect pair with hearty beans. I've definitely been feeling the fall. All I want is warm and cozy!

Dorry said...

This looks delicious! I love anything with greens and beans. :) I think we might be coming to Austin the weekend of October 22-24. Will y'all be in town? I'll keep you posted.

Kristina @ spabettie said...

Mmm, this looks SO good!!

we are just coming into fall in Portland... I LOVE it. :D

Zoe said...

It's the best season!!!!!